'New Statesman' on political speeches & speechwriting


An interesting article by Sophie Elmhirst on political speeches and speech writing has just appeared in the New Statesman magazine.

I can't complain about her quotes from me being inaccurate, even if some of them do make me sound like a grumpy old man recycling themes that will be all too familiar to regular followers of this blog.

However, given my extraordinary generosity in allowing her to spend half a day at one of my courses (without charge) I confess to being disappointed that none of my books got a mention.

So, by way of reciprocity, I've provided the above link so that you can read the article without actually having to buy a copy of the magazine!

1 comment:

bravospeeches said...

One recent excellent political speech is Mayor Bloomberg's Aug 3 speech on the proposed mosque near ground zero. Regardless of your position, you have to agree this is a well written speech. Here's my take on the techniques Bloomberg and his team employed to make this perhaps his most memorable speech of his tenure:

http://bravospeeches.com/2010/08/14/speech-techniques-in-bloombergs-august-3-2010-speech-on-the-ground-zero-mosque-vote/