20 June 2014

What's news about meeting and talking to an Afro-Carribean cyclist in deepest Somerset?

Today, during an hour's walk through the beautiful countryside near my home, I was surprised to meet an Afro-Carribean dressed in full kit for a long stint at cycling.

It was a very expensive bike with the latest in gear-changing equipment. 

  1. Should I have been surprised?
  2. Should I be ashamed? 
  3. Should I have noticed?
  4. Does the noticing mean I'm a prejudiced bastard because he spoke with an upper-class English accent.

  1. But I do confess to being surprised.
  2. I do feel ashamed by my reaction.
  3. I should not have noticed.
  4. I was wrong to be surprised by his upper-class English accent...
I hope that no one will notice and/or come up with better answers than mine in a generation's time (I am 70 years old) - especially when I'm related by marriage to someone as charming as Ade, who moved his family to Australia hoping to escape a life marred by color-prejudice in the UK.

Comments, as ever, welcome!


DSA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Max Atkinson said...

Why DSA?

Max Atkinson said...

Is DSA still there???

Anonymous said...

Last time I attempted to comment on your blog I had trouble with the procedure which checks that I am not a troll or spammer or indeed a robot. I could not read the phrase I had to reproduce, several times. So I deleted what I had contributed and went away in disgust. If I can remember my original contribution I will return... DSA99UK

DSA said...

I read your blogpost about meeting a fully equipped cyclist in a Somerset country lane. This would be of no surprise to anyone in Yorkshire where everyone has gone mad over #letour. However I fully understand your problems with diversity in the west country. At about the same time as I originally read your remarks I spotted this article in The Western Morning Post https://www.google.co.uk/search?output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=devon+school+all+white+&gbv=1&sei=1mKtU5K2MJHX7AbQjYDADQ which outlines an excellent way of dealing with your err... doubts -;)dsa99uk

Anonymous said...


PS I am not a troll